harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Write a graphical front-end for Harmony memory management
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:53:57 GMT
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Thilina Buddhika <thilinamb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am interested in writing a graphical front-end for Harmony memory
>  management as my GSoC project. And of course, It would be really beneficial
>  to implement it as a Eclipse plugin.
>  I would appreciate, if you could give your suggestions and feedback on this
>  project to refine this idea further.

Hi, Thilina, thanks for being interested. The most known GC
visualization tool is GCspy [1][2]. It has been working well with some
JVM implementations. So GCspy is a very good reference for Harmony.
Since GCspy is released under a BSD-like license, we can reuse its
client part and also the protocol. We could write our own tool from
the scratch, but I think it's unwise at the moment.

[1] Tony Printezis , Richard Jones, GCspy: an adaptable heap
visualisation framework, Proceedings of the 17th ACM SIGPLAN
conference on Object-oriented programming, systems, languages, and
applications, November 04-08, 2002, Seattle, Washington, USA
[2] http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/projects/gc/gcspy/

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--