harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Architecture Questions - Moving to JreLite
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 13:36:17 GMT
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Johnny Kewl <john@kewlstuff.co.za> wrote:
> Newbie... please be gentle ;)
>
>  In relation to the *VM* how are these used and are they used at all, if so
>  why.
>
>  BCEL?
>  (Probably introspection)
>
>  ICU?
>  (Unicode... its too big to be good)
>
>  XALAN
>  (please no)
>
>  XERCES
>  (please no)
>
>  Yoko
>  (Corba... I hope not)
>

>  Its almost perfect, the only area that naturally needs work is that the VM
>  does not distinguish between a user using the program and a programmer
>  that wants extra functionality... So Debuggers profiling tooling has to be
>  made all optional and dynamic links
>
>  Two JIT compilers ... beautiful, the OPT compiler must be optional or late

Well, I would suggest to approach the interesting JreLite project in
two almost independent phases. One is to deal with the non-VM stuff,
the other is to deal with the VM itself. The second phase might be
more challenging, but not really urgent, in my opinion.

Btw, Johnny, have you any expectation on the size of JreLite? 10MB? 1MB?

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com