harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Okonechnikov Konstantin" <okko73...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] GSoC 2008 Refactor Java Bytecode Translator
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:42:26 GMT
Alexei, Egor, thanks for helpful discussion.

So, there are two

basic approaches:

1. rewrite the current impl, introduce limited functionality, grow
   functionality in evolutionary way

2. take the current impl, evolutionary move it to something better and
>    better
>
> Yes, I preferred (1) because changing (2) requires understanding the
> current impl, which is not so fun.

It seems to me I won't avoid digging into the code.  And I don't want to
make the same mistakes again. I think I have to get familiar
with current implementation to understand better its problems. Maybe not so
detailed, but I believe that I could use some of this code.

But the big plus of (2) is that no matter of how much work is done,
> the impl becomes better :)

Could it happen so that the only possible improvment is total refactoring?

Best regards,
           Okonechnikov Konstantin.