harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Senaka Fernando" <senaka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 07:39:16 GMT
Hi Alexei,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 3:15 AM, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Parrot community have a pretty interesting and resourceful test base
> including tests which run regular expressions against their code which
> fail when the code style is not good. The only stress test they have
> is fortunately a test against GC [1], so it may be a good start.
> Generally this would be a good idea to address these questions to
> their list and ask them for cross-mentoring. Building good relations
> and understanding their code of conduct would ease acceptance of your
> work later.

+1, for the thought. I will start this discussion on their list, too.

> As for the porting layer, Maria tried merging Harmony and Parrot
> porting layers and faced difficulties adjusting our hythread layer
> based on port layer based on apr layer based on OS layer to parrot

I'm familiar with apr source so I can use it as a base from which i
investigate the port layer. I believe that a ground-up approach could rather
be appealing.

> based on source configure-like preprocessing. Another challenge is a
> pure C nature of Parrot code which makes embedding our sources tainted
> with C++ painful. For me it seems feasible to build GC into a separate

There is the possibility of Class Loading to solve this issue. This requires
defining an exportable C interface so that Parrot wouldn't need to bother
about the Harmony source.

> dynamic library using Harmony build system, and plug it into Parrot
> using a binary DLL interface you have to tune.

I'm interested in taking this project. This sounds very interesting.