harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Senaka Fernando" <senaka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:21:26 GMT
Hi Alexei,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:17 AM, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Senaka,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

> Welcome to the community. If I would set expectations for
> harmony-gc-5, I would suggest that Parrot VM test base passes on
> Parrot with XFL garbage collector plugged in.

Since there is a test base I believe I that it would be much easier to track
the flow of my work and understand the expectation. Do you believe that the
Parrot VM test base would cover all the necessary requirements so that I can
take a look of what is expected?

Also, I would like to know whether there are any JIRA issues, test branches,
etc. or any similar initiatives that you've taken regarding this feature.

> This includes subtasks
> such as unplugging Harmony GC from DRLVM, adjusting GC interface and
> code to work with object layout coded in Parrot PMCs* instead of
> layouts accessed via java object virtual tables and resolving porting
> layer and linking conflicts.

I can rather target these tasks as objectives. Btw, what typically
constitutes the porting layer?

> Thank you for your interest!
>
> * Which are very different from Apache PMCs.

:)

Regards,
Senaka