harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Visualizing JreLite
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 05:28:58 GMT
On 3/5/08, Johnny Kewl <john@kewlstuff.co.za> wrote:

> This is how I see it happening... I always talk from the point of view of Windows users...
they must be able to use it.

> BOOTSTRAP
> ==========
>
> There is a small bootstrap program it is called JRELite... its a native app probaby 80k
>
> When this is installed on a system it does a file association with "JreLite"
>
> THE JAVA APPLICATION
> ===================
>
> To use this system a user will reaname their execuatable jar from MyApp.jar
> MyApp.JreLite
>
> The above is all a user needs to know about and its how a user see's it.
>
> SCENARIO
> =========
>
> A programmer put their JreLite application on a web page, or emails it to a freind or
its on a flash stick...
> ... anything
>
> The user clicks on it...
> The system effectively runs JRELite MyApp.JreLite
>

> INITIAL HIT
> ========
>
> The bootstrap see's there is no Java on tha machine... it gets the JVMLite Engine...
> Approx 3 meg HIT...

Do you expect any security issues here? How you are going to verify
that dynamically downloaded bits are 'original' bits (i.e. not
cracked) ?

Thanks,
Stepan.

> STARTUP
> ========
>
> The Bootstrap place JVMLite in its special folder location...
> Start... JVMLite -jar MyApp.JreLite
>

> RUNNING BOOTSTRAP
> ==================
>
> The application starts and it needs a swing... the JVM's resolver can determine this...
> It loads it.
>
> So the thing to really understand is that the application starts almost immediately but
its "still"

> It feels like Java started in 20 seconds and remember this is only the first (one time
hit)...
> After that programs start "instantly"
>
> Also think about this.... if a user never goes to a part of the application that is not
used... that never has to be loaded.

> Bottom Line
> =========
> If we can strip the JRE down to somewhere around 3 megs.... make the classes and fonts
late binding... and put them on a deliver server.
> JRELite exists...
>
> The JVMLite work... is mainly in bridging the resolver with the ability to pull the require
component down from the server.
> Where ever that font engine is hiding... it too has to bridged with the ability to pull
a font down.

> The rest of the work... is in making the downloads fine grained... you let the JVM pull
the classes it needs... NOT the whole Jar.