harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Tharindu Mathew" <mcclou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: harmony-demo-1 for GSoC 2008
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:30:58 GMT
On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 9:30 PM, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 5:21 AM, Tharindu Mathew <mccloud35@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hey I just want to say after toiling around the build for about 3 days I
> was
> >  successfully able to build from the source. I had to manually download
> >  files, soft link some libraries and had to be very patient to get it
> done
> >  though.
>
> I don't think the build is that great either; i often run into issues.
> However, if you can lay out the specific steps you took (are taking)
> and what you're seeing, hopefully we can fix some of the issues.

I had to make a soft link to libXext.so and libXtst.so .Had to manually
download the Xalan and cpptasks.
had to run ant-fetch depends on common_resources/ to bring log4cxx from cvn

> >  I thank everyone who was patient enough to guide me through the build
> and
> >  being tolerant of a newbie.
> >
> >  About ANT_OPTS="-Xthough.ms256m -Xmx512m". I noticed it, but its not
> >  stressed as mandator, so I ignored it. And when that
> InvocationException
> >  occured I thought it was a library problem. I would've expected a Heap
> out
> >  of memory error. I had to consult you again when that occurred, if you
> >  remember.
>
> It all depends on your system - I've never had to use it on my
> moderate linux systems, but I always have to use it on my windows
> machines.

I'm running on Ubuntu 7.10

> As for the stack trace, this is just the way Ant and reflection works
> - root exceptions get hidden in InvocationTargetExceptions. If Ant
> were printing the cause of the exception, it'd be much more obvious.

How about mentioning that InvocationTargetException is most likely to occur
due to this reason.

> >  Also I had to run "ant fetch-depends" for common_resources to get
> log4cxx
> >  from svn. It would be great if this also can be automated.
>
> Are you running the top-level (federated build)? Did you add the
> "-Dauto.fetch=true" to the command line? This automates the dependency
> download.

Yes I did. Otherwise I would be running to much more trouble

--
Regards,

Tharindu