harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:06:10 GMT
Nathan Beyer wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Tharindu Mathew <mccloud35@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Nathan Beyer <nbeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  > What did you have to download manually? The dependency downloads are
>>  > all automated via Ant targets. If that's not working, then it's a bug
>>  > or issue we need to resolve.
>>  >
>>  Yes, I've included them in the bug. This specific location gives a corrupted
>>  version.
>
> Did the checksum fail? We probably need to notify that team of the
> corruption as well.

I just tried downloading it again, and got a short version (4.8Mb
instead of 6.7Mb) so it failed our MD5 checksum.  However, our checksum
matches the one on the download site [1] so there is a problem.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dist/xerces/j/Xerces-J-bin.2.9.1.zip.md5

>>  >
>>  > Maven doesn't have any magical solution for mirror usage.
>>  >
>>  Well it's not magic. But I noticed you have hardcoded all the locations of
>>  the needed jars.
>>  Dependency management is much easier in maven. If you include multiple
>>  repos, it will check all of them for the jar needed. and the checksum
>>  doesn't also needed to be hardcoded.
>
> Actually, Maven's no different. Generally you don't put any repos in a
> POM; all dependencies are downloaded from the central repo
> (repo1.maven.org), which is hardcoded in the code. The checksums are
> just as hardcoded, but instead of in the client scripts, they are in a
> files in the repo.

Agreed.  I see no material difference in us hard coding the name,
version, and MD5 file location rather than the actual MD5 itself.

> As someone else mentioned, all of this dependency management is also
> available in Ivy, but without all of the rest of Maven. The dependency
> management bits of Maven might help the Harmony build, but all of the
> other "conventions" that Maven uses would prevent many other parts of
> the build; such as running tests on a JRE that you just built. Nothing
> against Maven, but Harmony's really the edge case that Maven doesn't
> worry about.

In this case it appears that there really is a problem with the download
site, so our dependency management is working well <g>.

Regards,
Tim