harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [JDKTools][JDWP] Shared memory transport
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:46:29 GMT
Thanks Alexei!
I am writing the code for Windows only (as it is on the RI) and have
been using Windows API calls (CreateFileMapping(), MapViewOfFile() etc.)
directly rather than portlib calls.
I did investigate using portlib, but it would require a number of
portlib changes to get working (the shared memory calls in Harmony
portlib don't actually do what you'd expect!). For the time being I plan
to continue using the Windows API directly so that I can get it up and
running easily, as the time is currently better spent investigating how
to implement the transport. Perhaps moving to portlib is something for
the future, but the amount of work required to do this would not be trivial.

Regards,
Oliver

Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> [...]
>>  data from it. I have also been able to mirror this behaviour, with
>>  Harmony running in server mode. I will start to check in some changes
>>  soon, initially for the build system to start building dt_shmem.dll on
>>  Windows. After that I will start checking in some of my code and add
>>  some changes to the jpda test setup so it can run the tests in shared
>>  memory mode.
>>
>>  Regards,
>>  Oliver
>>
>>  Jimmy,Jing Lv wrote:
>>  > Hi,
>>  >
>>  > 2008/2/22, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>:
>>  >
>>  >> Jimmy,
>>  >>
>>  >>  I fully support your idea, but cannot follow the discussion fully. The
>>  >>  old thread mostly discussed a shared memory protocol, didn't it? This
>>  >>  thread no longer mentions a shared memory, but discusses an API update
>>  >>  instead. May be all these things are parts of the whole picture, but
>>  >>  the picture slips out of my mind. I would suggest being merciful to my
>>  >>  google-weakened brain and write some justifications of the decision
>>  >>  taken.
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  >      Yes, I never forget shared memory, but it seems we need more
>>  > information of that (according to the conclusion of last discussion).
>>  > However java6 updating is easier to work on and we've got all
>>  > information on java spec, as a result, IMO, we'd better start from the
>>  > easy beginning, and leave hard work alone until we find some other way
>>  > to resolve it, do you think so? :)   (Maybe someone already has a plan
>>  > on it :)
>>  >       BTW, as today is friday, have a nice weekend :)
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >>  For example, I believe Mikhail L. justification: "I don't think that
>>  >>  time and efforts are an issue. The time flies when you are having fun
>>  >>  :)" is quite explanatory. Or you may come up with something more
>>  >>  rational.
>>  >>
>>  >>  Thanks.
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>  On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>  >>  > Hi All,
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  >      As discussed before, we can start JDWP updating and improving.
>>  >>  >  IMHO, let's start from the easiest way, updating to java 6.
>>  >>  >      My proposal is:
>>  >>  >  1. Setup a branch of JDKTools for java6 in harmony repository
>>  >>  >  2. add/improve JDWP functions into java6 level. As the main updating
>>  >>  >  for java6 JDWP is about JDWP-protocol, it seems no much effect on
VM