harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: harmony-demo-1 for GSoC 2008
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:05:40 GMT
Tharindu Mathew wrote:
> I'm a campus student who liked to know more about the harmony demo 1 project
> you've listen on the wiki.  I have some experience in Java but I don't have
> any when it comes to game development.

Hi Tharindu.  Hopefully Alexei will respond (since he thought of this
project), but I expect you will need familiarity with graphics systems
more than gaming.  The project is to enhance Harmony to work with the
existing game code rather than change the game itself.

> I'd like to learn to get into game dev. And I could do that through making
> FreeCol playable in Harmony. Is prior gaming dev knowledge required for
> this? What do you recommend?

I think it would be a good opportunity to see how existing games are
written and the operations that are used in the runtime.  That will be a
basis for you to use the same operations for your own gaming ideas.

Regards,
Tim