harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I'm Broken ;(
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:42:08 GMT
Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 10:56 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
>> xiaofeng.li@gmail.com wrote:
>>  > MSVC2005 is a minimum requirement now, I think.
>>
>>  I am running fine on MS VStudio 2003.
>
> I see almost all of those new Harmony users were frustrated by the
> build failures with VS2005, so it's not only a developer's issue. We
> should be realistic and Harmony better be user-friendly.

I was simply responding to your comment that the minimum requirement is
now MSVC2005.  I wasn't suggesting that we *shouldn't* support later
versions.

>>  I'm sure people would be happy to update the code to run on any later
>>  versions too, as we have in the past [1].  We just need people with
>>  those later versions to tell us what to change.
>
> Yes.

I applied changes I was told about to make MSVC 2005 work (e.g. quoted
as [1] below).  Since I don't have that version I can't try it and fix
the problems.

Regards,
Tim

> Thanks,
> xiaofeng
>
>>  [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=591059
>>
>>  Regards,
>>  Tim
>>

>>  > Link below is what I suggested 1.5 years ago:
>>  > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/harmony-dev/200607.mbox/%3c9623c9a50607061939g5ef5c5ecr2c4389dfb25977ca@mail.gmail.com%3e
>>  >
>>  > Thanks,
>>  > xiaofeng
>>  >
>>  > On 3/6/08, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >> Johnny,
>>  >> You are welcome to return when you get some rest. I believe anyone can
>>  >> learn how to build a Harmony provided he has enough time and passion.
>>  >> Thank you for your energy and enthusiasm.
>>  >>
>>  >> All, do we want to switch to something newer? MSVC 2005? Or MSVC 2008?
>>  >> Or Cygwin's gcc?
>>  >> J9 funs, may J9 dependency from a specific runtime prove an issue?
>>  >> Stepan, Alexey, CC owners, I'm asking you because enabling efforts
>>  >> look lighter for me compared to BTI transition.
>>  >>
>>  >> Thanks.
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Johnny Kewl <john@kewlstuff.co.za>
wrote:
>>  >>> You know when I first looked at this I said lets do JRELite, which
I see
>>  >> as the future of Java, and
>>  >>>  to do this, I'm going to take Harmony and "break it into little
>>  >> pieces"... ha ha
>>  >>>  Well I stand before you humbled and broken, Harmony broke me into
little
>>  >> pieces, bashed my head against the wall and then drowned me ;)
>>  >>>  I think it threw a few kicks in as well ;)
>>  >>>
>>  >>>  Its a humungous ambitious beyond belief undertaking and even though
I've
>>  >> done plenty of C in my time,
>>  >>>  cross platform coding is something else.
>>  >>>
>>  >>>  Have always used an IDE, and thats my problem, I just dont know where
>>  >> start when faced with build
>>  >>>  errors... I just cant cant get it to compile on XP even now using
VS 6
:
>>  >> error C
>>  >>>  2146: syntax error : missing ')' before identifier 'millis'
>>  >>>
>>  >>>  in this code
>>  >>>
>>  >>>  extern HY_CFUNC IDATA VMCALL
>>  >>>     hythread_sleep_interruptable PROTOTYPE ((I_64 millis, IDATA nanos));
>>  >>>
>>  >>>  I know its not a real syntax error and that I_64 is probably not
>>  >> defined... then I follow the code back and it just becomes
>>  >>>  a whole bunch of cross platform defines... and then I wonder where
on
>>  >> earth the ant script defines that.
>>  >>>  I tried all sorts of things and... even from VS 2005 and there for
some
>>  >> reason its trying to compile the
>>  >>>  linux folders and not the win32... and I think where on earth do you
tell
>>  >> the ant script to change that.
>>  >>>  Or is it hiding in a mak file... I now officially give up.
>>  >>>
>>  >>>  How on earth does one go about bringing code back from ant driven....
>>  >> IDE driven... that beats me.
>>  >>>  All these dependencies... for me impossible.
>>  >>>
>>  >>>  So I leave you gurus to do your thing... I can see you damn good,
and
>>  >> that you are working
>>  >>>  damn hard, but the size of this project and my skill levels lacking
the
>>  >> ability to even get it to a dev environment means
>>  >>>  .... Harmony has kicked my butt ;)
>>  >>>
>>  >>>  We going try kludge JRELite from J2SE... but that really means internal
>>  >> company use only... its a fun thing.
>>  >>>  Just before I go, I want to show you something and why I believe JRELite
>>  >> is the future...
>>  >>>  This technology is something your truely invented because we dont
like
>>  >> EJB, now if you can just forget about that... we get flamed regularly
>>  >>>  ... the surprising thing that fell out of this was the delivery times
of
>>  >> applications.
>>  >>>  With this technology applications all live on a central server, so
there
>>  >> is no application installed in the company, they are delivered.
>>  >>>  And also do not get confused here... delivering application and
>>  >> delivering the API as suggested in JRELIte is NOT the same thing.
>>  >>>  BUT... it is using a similar principle, ie it does not install the
JARs,
>>  >> it just sucks down what the application needs.
>>  >>>  Now if you degrade yourselves ;) and set this up on a MS system....
watch