harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:53:46 GMT
On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Tharindu Mathew <mccloud35@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Nathan Beyer <nbeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > What did you have to download manually? The dependency downloads are
>  > all automated via Ant targets. If that's not working, then it's a bug
>  > or issue we need to resolve.
>  >
>  Yes, I've included them in the bug. This specific location gives a corrupted
>  version.

Did the checksum fail? We probably need to notify that team of the
corruption as well.

>  >
>  > Maven doesn't have any magical solution for mirror usage.
>  >
>  Well it's not magic. But I noticed you have hardcoded all the locations of
>  the needed jars.
>  Dependency management is much easier in maven. If you include multiple
>  repos, it will check all of them for the jar needed. and the checksum
>  doesn't also needed to be hardcoded.

Actually, Maven's no different. Generally you don't put any repos in a
POM; all dependencies are downloaded from the central repo
(repo1.maven.org), which is hardcoded in the code. The checksums are
just as hardcoded, but instead of in the client scripts, they are in a
files in the repo.

As someone else mentioned, all of this dependency management is also
available in Ivy, but without all of the rest of Maven. The dependency
management bits of Maven might help the Harmony build, but all of the
other "conventions" that Maven uses would prevent many other parts of
the build; such as running tests on a JRE that you just built. Nothing
against Maven, but Harmony's really the edge case that Maven doesn't
worry about.