harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: harmony-demo-1 for GSoC 2008
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:00:39 GMT
On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 5:21 AM, Tharindu Mathew <mccloud35@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey I just want to say after toiling around the build for about 3 days I was
>  successfully able to build from the source. I had to manually download
>  files, soft link some libraries and had to be very patient to get it done
>  though.

I don't think the build is that great either; i often run into issues.
However, if you can lay out the specific steps you took (are taking)
and what you're seeing, hopefully we can fix some of the issues.

>  I thank everyone who was patient enough to guide me through the build and
>  being tolerant of a newbie.
>
>  About ANT_OPTS="-Xthough.ms256m -Xmx512m". I noticed it, but its not
>  stressed as mandator, so I ignored it. And when that InvocationException
>  occured I thought it was a library problem. I would've expected a Heap out
>  of memory error. I had to consult you again when that occurred, if you
>  remember.

It all depends on your system - I've never had to use it on my
moderate linux systems, but I always have to use it on my windows
machines.

As for the stack trace, this is just the way Ant and reflection works
- root exceptions get hidden in InvocationTargetExceptions. If Ant
were printing the cause of the exception, it'd be much more obvious.

>  Also I had to run "ant fetch-depends" for common_resources to get log4cxx
>  from svn. It would be great if this also can be automated.

Are you running the top-level (federated build)? Did you add the
"-Dauto.fetch=true" to the command line? This automates the dependency
download.