harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Zakharov" <alexei.zakha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [build-test] new ant target
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:08:33 GMT
IMO this depends on whom you see as a target user for BTI. AFAIU there
are two persons who make daily snapshot testing and aware of all BTI
parameters and configuration tips - Stepan and you. And both of you
probably well informed on how to configure BTI properly - where is the
place to change URLs from HTTPS to HTTP and vise versa. All other
users (many of which are committers) are interested only in couple of
test suites and in the most convenient way to run tests, view results
and propagate possible changes in test sources to svn. So for the
current default BTI configuration a quick start guide contains more
required steps (i.e. an extra svn switch) than it may be,

Regards,
Alexei

2008/3/26, Alexey Varlamov <alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com>:
> [...]
>
> > I've tried this, but it reported
>  >
>  > svn: 'https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/buildtest/trunk/tests/struts_test'
>  > is not the same repository as
>  > 'http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf'
>  >
>  > Now I recall that I probably used "--relocate" switch in the same
>  > situation in the past. However, yesterday I wasn't smart enough.
>  > Anyway, I don't see much reason in setting the default location to
>  > "http://svn.apache.org/blah/blah/blah". Is this a special feature of
>  > our BTI? IMO Apache's svn server can afford using HTTPS in case if our
>  > CC is not hitting it every two seconds.
>

> Anyway HTTPS imposes higher strain on Apache servers - don't forget
>  you're not alone hosting CC instance. Besides it increases response
>  time for clients (startup time of CCs) - which is noticeable for
>  highly charged CC (like our snapshot testing).
>  So the _default_ should be HTTP, and in _special cases_ swn switch is
>  the friend as they say ;)
>
>  Regards,
>
> Alexey
>

>  >
>  > Thanks,
>  > Alexei
>  >
>  > 2008/3/25, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com>:
>  > > Alexei Zakharov wrote:
>  > >  > Thanks Stepan. By the way, I also noticed that by default all test
>  > >  > sources are downloaded from
>  > >  >
>  > >  > http://svn.apache.org/repos/....
>  > >  >
>  > >  > This is a bit inconvenient if you are a committer and trying to commit
>  > >  > changes in tests. Because svn refuses to commit anything if the
>  > >  > repository URL doesn't start with HTTPS. So yesterday I had to
>  > >  > recheckout all sources in order to commit a trivial change to struts
>  > >  > tests.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > In cases like this, where you know it is the same resources at a
>  > >  different URL, svn switch is your friend.
>  > >
>  > >  Regards,
>  > >
>  > > Tim
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  > 2008/3/25, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com>:
>  > >  >> On 3/22/08, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >  >>  > On 3/21/08, Alexei Zakharov <alexei.zakharov@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  > >  >>  > > Hi Stepan,
>  > >  >>  > > Today I was trying to update the buildtest workspace
and found that
>  > >  >>  > > you've made several changes to it. I tried to read README.txt
but this
>  > >  >>  > > was not very helpful since the file itself looks outdated.
Then from