harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject [classlib][archive] zlib performance (was: Re: [classlib][archive] +3.25% on Eclipse startup after a bit of cleaning)
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:33:48 GMT

Alexei,

Your message reminded me that I had noticed that my debian packages
for M5 - which use -Dhy.local.zlib=true - have better performance for
inflate/deflate than the M5 releases.  Given that we are unlikely to
need to debug into the zlib code, perhaps we should *always* compile the
zlib code with optimizations.  After all it isn't really "our" code, we
are unlikely to change it and it hasn't changed since 2005.

Debian compile with -O3 and with -DUNALIGNED_OK (on x86 and x86_64) and
my tests with minigzip show that these are reasonable choices.

I would expect that this would improve eclipse startup performance.

-Mark.