harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r634547 [2/2] - in /harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm: em/src/ include/open/ interpreter/src/ jitrino/src/codegenerator/ia32/ jitrino/src/codegenerator/ipf/ jitrino/src/jet/ jitrino/src/shared/ jitrino/src/vm/ vmcore/build/ vmcore/src/c
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 22:16:01 GMT
On 7 марта 2008 Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> Alexey,
> there is a problem with this commit.
> Some of methods that returns Boolean (that is 'unsigned') are described as
> 'bool' in vm_interface.h
> It's not the same and causes problems. For example I found that H2092 fails
> now in debug mode on Linux because of 'field_is_volatile'  method.

I see 3 different problems with 3 different used approaches

1. bool is a C++ type an cannot be used in a pure C interface. Don't tell me
about extended C standards. Period.
2. Boolean is a synthetic type which is actually UDATA that corresponds to
POINTER_SIZE_INT and this means by far unoptimal decision for a type that
holds a single meaning bit.
3. jboolean is a type defined for Java only.

As long as we work on Java jboolean is the most universal definition since it
is actually specified. In case JIT code may be reused for other code we might
invent jitboolean to be equal in definition to jboolean both in spec and
code. I would vote for such approach.

--
Gregory