harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] GSoC 2008 Refactor Java Bytecode Translator
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:26:31 GMT
On the 0x415 day of Apache Harmony Okonechnikov Konstantin wrote:

> > Why is this approach worth trying? Because you can test the code while
> > writing. Make an emconf that uses your code on methods with supported
> > bytecodes and use JET or older OPT for others.
> >
> > Sounds good?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Egor Pasko
> >

> Sounds great! :)
> I like the idea with specialized emoconf file and "step-by-step"
> development. Thanks for detailed plan, I know what things I should
> ivenstigate at first.
> I suppose when developing architecture, one should consider all
> complicated features... But it's better to discuss later, when
> I will study how these features should work ))

cool cool! Top-down architecture is usually hard to do right because
our small brains are so limited :) BTW, JavaTranslator is a good
example of top-down design done wrong.

I know many complicated details, but I do not want to write a top-down
design for you. This is all for your fun, after all, I should not eat
a part of your pie. So, it is quite logical to rise from bottom. In
this approach, if you are stuck, you know where you are stuck.

> I need to deliberate and investigate for some time. Then I come up
> with questions.

Great!

Looks like IRBuilder refactoring will help you on the first steps. So,
feel free to take it. And to refresh the priorities, data flow
analysis is the most difficult. So, try not be stuck on other topics,
plan most of your time for the data flow.

--
Egor Pasko