harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] GSoC 2008 Refactor Java Bytecode Translator
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:27:51 GMT
On the 0x415 day of Apache Harmony Egor Pasko wrote:
> On the 0x415 day of Apache Harmony Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> > Egor,
> > Do I understand correctly that you are suggesting Kostya to design the
> > whole thing from scratch rather than evolutionary approach?
> Why? I suggest the evolutionary approach. Stop fooling me, April 1st
> is not there yet.

Alexei, sorry, misunderstood you.

So, there are two basic approaches:

1. rewrite the current impl, introduce limited functionality, grow
   functionality in evolutionary way

2. take the current impl, evolutionary move it to something better and

Yes, I preferred (1) because changing (2) requires understanding the
current impl, which is not so fun.

But the big plus of (2) is that no matter of how much work is done,
the impl becomes better :)

Need to think about some hybrid approach. Actually my suggestion to
start from moving Simplifier away from IRBuilder makes it somewhat hybrid.

Egor Pasko

View raw message