harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general][website] be careful updating Russian pages
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2008 23:25:49 GMT
On the 0x3FA day of Apache Harmony Nathan Beyer wrote:
> It's still too easy to make a mistake. The best bet is get the RI's
> fixed and get the build to force the correct thing.
>
> Yes, I do use svn diff, but not on generated code, which is what the
> HTML files are. In the future, all I'll do is just NOT change these
> pages.

As a probably convenient alternative, we might require the doc build
to run under Harmony, so that it breaks otherwise. That way it is not
too easy to break anything. The error message could say something like:

"Building website is not supported on runtimes other than
Harmony. Please, set your JAVA_HOME accordingly. You can download the
latest Harmony release here: <...>"

How does it sound?

> -Nathan
>
> On 01 Mar 2008 23:04:21 +0300, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On the 0x3FA day of Apache Harmony Nathan Beyer wrote:
> >
> > > Here's the change I made -
> >  > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=628236.
> >
> >  yes, you can see from the patch that Russian text has changed in many
> >  places where was not intended to. So, "svn diff" helped to see
> >  that. This way I kind of proposed the way how one can make sure if
> >  their changes is OK for Russian. Using this technique it is not "too
> >
> > easy for people to innocently do the wrong thing here".
> >
> >  So I do not see the reason of making it completely automatic (since
> >  looking at svn diff is generally a good practice). Automation would be
> >  like put a non-visible test string to the header of each Russian page
> >  and verify that the diff does not contain it. Is it easy?
> >
> >  But the situation is awkward, I agree.
> >

> >  > On 01 Mar 2008 12:14:11 +0300, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > > On the 0x3FA day of Apache Harmony Nathan Beyer wrote:
> >  > >  > This happened to me. I don't know Russian, but when I updated the
site
> >  > >  > for the changes to the ant targets, I figured it was fine to change
> >  > >  > the bit that said "ant XXXX".
> >  > >
> >  > >  Natan, I did not understand this phrase quite well. Would you, plz,
> >  > >  put it in other words so I could understand what happened? I am so
> >  > >  sorry :)
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > >  > -Nathan
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > On 29 Feb 2008 23:09:31 +0300, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > > On the 0x3F7 day of Apache Harmony Tim Ellison wrote:
> >  > >  > >  > Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> >  > >  > >  > > Alexei Zakharov said the following on 22.02.2008
13:48:
> >  > >  > >  > >> Hm, I can build Russian pages without any corrupted
symbols in it
> >  > >  > >  > >> using RI on Win32. What this bug is about?
> >  > >  > >  > > This is a strange bug and it manifests differently
on different
> >  > >  > >  > > windows installations. I think it also depends
on your system
> >  > >  > >  > > language settings on windows. The bug is in wrong
generation of
> >  > >  > >  > > UTF-8 characters for some of Cyrillic letters.
See [1] and
> >  > >  > >  > > predecessors for more details.
> >  > >  > >  > > [1] http://harmony.markmail.org/message/lcjnldxiisawfzxq
> >  > >  > >  >
> >  > >  > >  > Is there any way we can put a check in the build script
to ensure the
> >  > >  > >  > Russian text has not been broken?  Even if it is just
checking that
> >  > >  > >  > you are running on a Harmony JRE.
> >  > >  > >  >
> >  > >  > >  > It sounds too easy for people to innocently do the wrong
thing here.
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  why?
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  if you do not know Russian, you probably would not edit it.
So, "svn
> >  > >  > >  diff" would tell you if characters in Russian text changed.
And if

--
Egor Pasko