harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][startup][performance][classloader] mapping bootstrap jars directly into memory (HARMONY-5281)
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:05:51 GMT
On the 0x401 day of Apache Harmony Nathan Beyer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 4:46 AM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nataly Naumova wrote:
> >  > I've measured the startup performance for simple applications, speedup
> >  > was ~2-3% on simple graphics aplication with lots of AWT/SWING
> >  > classes. But I think the idea is quite pretty, because of we get rid
> >  > of a big amount of system calls, such as lseek, read etc. As we're
> >  > working just with pointers directly.
> >
> >  Understood, but to increase the runtime footprint by 20Mb is bad IMHO.
>
> What's the total footprint? What was it before? The RI has a ~25M
> footprint for general uses the last time I checked.

Do we measure DRLVM footprint regularly? Is there something in BTI to
facilitate this? Say, we can have some reference startup footprints
like Eclipse, JEdit (more?). Did anybody compare them to RI?

To detect bottlenecks it is also important to know what part of the
footprint is heap, what is JITted code, what is other stuff. Is
there any handy function to measure this?  (if at performance cost,
it's OK)

Offtopicly, I regularly worry about footprint impact of Jitrino
optimizations, where inliner is most notable, you know. Looks as if
everybody sees the picture, but not me :)

--
Egor Pasko