harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: JRE Lite
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 12:43:10 GMT

---- Original Message -----
From: "Egor Pasko" <egor.pasko@gmail.com>
To: <dev@harmony.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: JRE Lite

> On the 0x3FC day of Apache Harmony Johnny Kewl wrote:

It the "brains" of the thing that will be interesting....
Fonts are huge, so we stick them on a server...
The base classes are huge, so we stick them on a server
etc etc

Now there is just a Java Lite... and the application... they small and
something (installer) put
them on the machine and said.... Exec(JavaLite App.Jar)

Now those "brains" kick in... the app is running and it needs a Font... the
engine doesnt crash
it just quietly gets it.
The class running needs a List... the engine detects it and quietly gets
it...

Net effect (50k app + 500k engine + at runtime 300k of download).... much
better
than a 25 meg package that the user would have to install.

Thats the idea... but if it turns out that (50k application + 10m engine +
at runtime 5 meg)
its probably bust....

What will it be... how can it be engineered to be deliverable... nice
questions.
Also much more fun that just applying someone elses rule book all the
time.... a chance to
make a very special JRE... and if it works, that it will be... most
definitely.
A good name for it would be PANIC!  I like that... ;)

An then the final part is this... if it is lite and can deliver stuff in a
very intelligent way... then
what about delivering stuff the Java sucks at now as well... like USB
support would be really cool
and .... anything else the imagination allows for...

But... we want to engineer a TRICKLE.... not a TORRENT  ;)