harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Feedback on JRELite efforts
Date Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:58:13 GMT
Thought you would be interested to know that our efforts to turn J2SE
into a "click and go" Java failed miserably :)

I think that any JRE that sets up for speed "immediately" will never be lite.
It loads everything under the sun, in an effort to be instantly fast.
I think its still possible but not with "that" machine.

I been digging around trying to find good articles on JVM design so I can understand the
design parameters. Anyone know of good links, please yell.

Even been doing things like simulating Java's dependencies, so I can see what an application
"actually needs".
Did some very rough analysis on a simple AWT app against sun J2SE...
ie analysed dependencies, then wrote some software to extract every class "actually used".
And the idea seems to pan out... for example from the one test I did the classes used
came to around 1600... is that unbelievable or what (a simple app)...
.... BUT compressed its 2 megs ... and that aint bad at all.

I see there are a frew JSR's in this area so people are thinking about it, but they seem
to be wrongly approaching it from a package view, installer view, not what the JRE is actually
needing.
ie there is a big difference between thinking XERCES and XALAN package, and what the JRE actually
takes
from it... the yada blah conversation that we already had... ie the JRE as installer blah
blah.

I think this is beeeeeg, and I see you have student projects on the go, I think a ** JRE Engine
analyser **
(if not done already) would be an amazing project.
IE, show the analyser an application... it tells you, all the JRE classes used, the size,
the native component, and lists the dependency diags.
The way I did it was very primative and very slow... but its an interesting area.

I think coders would look at it and go... do we really need to load JMX, and sockets and XML
parsers, just to run System.out, why?

Anyway... thats as far as we got, although we did manage do turn the POJO server we working
on into an API server, and it works damn well.
Will be in next release... will drop a note here when out so anyone interested can see how
delivering API to remote machines works.

Conclusion J2SE is a "heavy" speed freak... ha ha, I hope Harmony doesnt emulate that pattern.
It must "build up" to being a speed freak ;)

Any article links on JVM design much appreciated.
I'm not even in IT, and this gets me excited ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.
Making the Java dream come true.
Making Gates - Number 2