harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: I think - Remove Microsoft from Installer Pages
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 00:18:11 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nathan Beyer" <nbeyer@gmail.com>
To: <dev@harmony.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 12:34 AM
Subject: Re: I think - Remove Microsoft from Installer Pages

> There are plenty of places that still sell VS.NET 2003 -
> http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&hs=XOH&resnum=0&q=visual+studio+2003&um=1&ie=UTF-

What do you know... and its not even listed on the MS site anymore ;)
I still think this is a problem waiting to happen anyway... also hard to
convince a company that
just licensed 2008 to go back and license 2003.... no there has to be a
better way.
Somehow find a way to bring MS developers in line with the Linux guys... so
they can work in
Harmony ... ha ha

I've just had a good look at Cygwin... no, because it creates dependencies
on its dlls, and java
still lives outside on the MS systems so /linux to c:\ path conversions
would drive people mad...
So cygwin is out I think....

I think it all really comes down to finding a GCC compiler that likes
windows and can interface with
an decent IDE... the MS dudes will be happy.
Havnt quite given up yet... for me getting the code to the developer is
going to be much easier than
trying to get the devloper onto linux.... so I'm trying.

Dont worry I'm not blaming you... I can see the MS has forked off at a
tangent (again!) ha ha
... but there is a problem...