harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject I'm Broken ;(
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 12:39:10 GMT
You know when I first looked at this I said lets do JRELite, which I see as the future of Java,
and
to do this, I'm going to take Harmony and "break it into little pieces"... ha ha

Well I stand before you humbled and broken, Harmony broke me into little pieces, bashed my
head against the wall and then drowned me ;)
I think it threw a few kicks in as well ;)

Its a humungous ambitious beyond belief undertaking and even though I've done plenty of C
in my time,
cross platform coding is something else.

Have always used an IDE, and thats my problem, I just dont know where to start when faced
with build
errors... I just cant cant get it to compile on XP even now using VS 6
Its trying but when something like this happens...

     [exec] E:\Harmony\working_classlib\deploy\include\hythread.h(137) : error C
2146: syntax error : missing ')' before identifier 'millis'

in this code

extern HY_CFUNC IDATA VMCALL
    hythread_sleep_interruptable PROTOTYPE ((I_64 millis, IDATA nanos));

I know its not a real syntax error and that I_64 is probably not defined... then I follow
the code back and it just becomes
a whole bunch of cross platform defines... and then I wonder where on earth the ant script
defines that.

I tried all sorts of things and... even from VS 2005 and there for some reason its trying
to compile the
linux folders and not the win32... and I think where on earth do you tell the ant script to
change that.
Or is it hiding in a mak file... I now officially give up.

How on earth does one go about bringing code back from ant driven.... to IDE driven... that
beats me.
All these dependencies... for me impossible.

So I leave you gurus to do your thing... I can see you damn good, and that you are working
damn hard, but the size of this project and my skill levels lacking the ability to even get
it to a dev environment means
.... Harmony has kicked my butt ;)

We going try kludge JRELite from J2SE... but that really means internal company use only...
its a fun thing.

Just before I go, I want to show you something and why I believe JRELite is the future...
This technology is something your truely invented because we dont like EJB, now if you can
just forget about that... we get flamed regularly
... the surprising thing that fell out of this was the delivery times of applications.
With this technology applications all live on a central server, so there is no application
installed in the company, they are delivered.
And also do not get confused here... delivering application and delivering the API as suggested
in JRELIte is NOT the same thing.
BUT... it is using a similar principle, ie it does not install the JARs, it just sucks down
what the application needs.
Now if you degrade yourselves ;) and set this up on a MS system.... watch how fast the applications
are delivered.
In most cases, on a LAN... in under a second.... so you see, I wasnt totally open... I know
JRELite will work.
Its (if you can just forget about the competition with EJB)... a good way for you to see how
your JreLite would work, when you deliver API... http://coolharbor.100free.com/index.htm

Best of luck to you.