harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject I think - Remove Microsoft from Installer Pages
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2008 21:04:34 GMT
Guys, I think you need to make an explicit note on the installer site...
CANNOT BE COMPILED ON WINDOWS

The problem is the MS tools have moved on... 2003 cannot be found.
There seems to be a massive change on 2005 and up compilers.
Just about everything is deprecated, the headers seemed to have changed alot from linux compilers.
Or more simply... VS is now windows only.

I've being trying from the ant builds and also from VS 2005 directly...
You literally have to rewrite the code...

I see the Sun JVM does also not support development on the MS platform, whether that is strategic
or
a technical issue as well, I'm not sure, I think its the former.

I'm not up on all the compilers but from googling, there does not seem to be a compiler that
one
can readily use on MS.

If you want to attract developers in this market... you have to show them how to do it, or
find an
old MS compiler and stick it on a FTP server or something.

We going to setup a linux dev environment for this, but that immediately reduces my local
skills to a
grand total of one ;)
Possibly Cygwin is the way to go... I know that can tie up with netbeans, but I'm not sure
about
eclipse.

Its a massive project... if the user cannot get it to their familiar dev environment... it
becomes a
1 month excercise to just get going...
The divergence in tools is throwing away a huge developer market... very unfortunate.
Sorry... I just cant figure out a way to get it going... and if we do port it to MS tools,
it will
never be compatible again with the CVS.
... snookered ;)