harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Li" <liyilei1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jdktools][JDWP]using portlib to support JDWP transport/agent?
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:13:00 GMT
On 2/25/08, Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     As I read the current JDWP transport/agent implementation I found
> that it has two folders, which means now we have two copies of code
> for windows and Linux. As we know, Harmony have a portlib which can
> facilitate the development to various of platforms, so I believe maybe
> we can use portlib to merge current 2  transport/agent into one?
>     IMHO, we will get following advantage if we use portlib in JDWP:
> 1. Harmony have various of customers on various of platform(e.g, I
> remember some MacOS users do works on Harmony), we can use portlib to
> support such users without any modification on code;
> 2. keep only one copy of code, omit unnecessary copies for various of
> platforms. In this case, if any bug/improvement occurs, we can work on
> only one codebase so that to facilitate the developement and avoid
> some platform-specific errors.
>
>     And the current implementation shows we may need to refactor
> network and memory APIs to with platform specific APIs, luckiely it
> seems no much work.
>     Any comments/suggestions?

  It will be better if the JDWP can be based on portlib.
  But I am not sure whether all the apis involved in these os related files
can found a direct counterpart in portlib.
  I am not sure whether there is an alterntive in portlib for the
ioctl/ioctlsocket, if I have not missed something. Maybe we shall expand the
portlib a little. :)

--

--
Good luck!