harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jdktools][JDWP]using portlib to support JDWP transport/agent?
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:15:23 GMT
Hi,

2008/2/25, Leo Li <liyilei1979@gmail.com>:
> On 2/25/08, Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > Hi All,
>  >
>  >     As I read the current JDWP transport/agent implementation I found
>  > that it has two folders, which means now we have two copies of code
>  > for windows and Linux. As we know, Harmony have a portlib which can
>  > facilitate the development to various of platforms, so I believe maybe
>  > we can use portlib to merge current 2  transport/agent into one?
>  >     IMHO, we will get following advantage if we use portlib in JDWP:
>  > 1. Harmony have various of customers on various of platform(e.g, I
>  > remember some MacOS users do works on Harmony), we can use portlib to
>  > support such users without any modification on code;
>  > 2. keep only one copy of code, omit unnecessary copies for various of
>  > platforms. In this case, if any bug/improvement occurs, we can work on
>  > only one codebase so that to facilitate the developement and avoid
>  > some platform-specific errors.
>  >
>  >     And the current implementation shows we may need to refactor
>  > network and memory APIs to with platform specific APIs, luckiely it
>  > seems no much work.
>  >     Any comments/suggestions?
>

>   It will be better if the JDWP can be based on portlib.
>   But I am not sure whether all the apis involved in these os related files
>  can found a direct counterpart in portlib.
>   I am not sure whether there is an alterntive in portlib for the
>  ioctl/ioctlsocket, if I have not missed something. Maybe we shall expand the
>  portlib a little. :)

ioctl/ioctlsocket in the JDWP transport, IIRC, is used only in
"SetSocketBlockingMode", which is already a similar function of
portlib. Other functions, as we know, are basic functions related to
socket,thread and memory (please correct me if I'm worry). As a
result, I believe all methods are included in the portlib. :)