harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject [jdktools][JDWP]using portlib to support JDWP transport/agent?
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2008 06:56:30 GMT
Hi All,

     As I read the current JDWP transport/agent implementation I found
that it has two folders, which means now we have two copies of code
for windows and Linux. As we know, Harmony have a portlib which can
facilitate the development to various of platforms, so I believe maybe
we can use portlib to merge current 2  transport/agent into one?
     IMHO, we will get following advantage if we use portlib in JDWP:
1. Harmony have various of customers on various of platform(e.g, I
remember some MacOS users do works on Harmony), we can use portlib to
support such users without any modification on code;
2. keep only one copy of code, omit unnecessary copies for various of
platforms. In this case, if any bug/improvement occurs, we can work on
only one codebase so that to facilitate the developement and avoid
some platform-specific errors.

     And the current implementation shows we may need to refactor
network and memory APIs to with platform specific APIs, luckiely it
seems no much work.
     Any comments/suggestions?

--

Best Regards!