harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [JDKTools][JDWP]Let's start JDWP java6 updating
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:52:47 GMT
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> Oliver Deakin said the following on 22.02.2008 12:35:
>> Hi Jimmy,
>>
>> This is a great idea, but I have a feeling there may still need to be
>> some work done on the current version. I have noticed the following:
>>
>> 1) You cannot launch Harmony with
>> java -agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=n,address=8888
>>
>> without specifying a class at the end of the command line. This is
>> not a major issue, just a difference to the RI. If you run the above
>> command line, the launcher short circuits to the launcher command
>> line help and exits.*
>> *
>> 2) If I try to launch two Harmony VMs using the following command lines:
>> java
>> -agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=8888
>> HelloWorld
>> java -agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=n,address=8888 HelloWorld
>
> I am not sure I understand the intention to run these two command
> lines. To connect to a JDWP agent you need a real JDWP client, e.g.
> Eclipse or jdb. AFAIU JDWP agent cannot talk to itself over JDWP
> protocol.

Hi Gregory,

Im not saying that this is a standard way to connect, but it appears to
expose a difference between implementations. You can run these two
command lines on the RI without any errors whatsoever. Although this is
not normal practise it leaves me wondering what the cause of these
errors are on Harmony.

Regards,
Oliver

--