harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Breaking the build again (was Re: [announce] new DRLVM build system came into force)
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:10:20 GMT
Alexey Varlamov wrote:
>> I have a natural aversion to svn:externals since it messes up the SVN
>> version control.  When you copy a resource with an externals property to
>> a new branch, the branch has a copy of the property (not what it points
>> to).  This makes it too easy to modify the HEAD when you think you are
>> working on a branch, and makes the branch mutable from the HEAD.
>
> The SVN manual covers this issue; they say "commit" command
> specifically ignores external subdirectories unless they are
> explicitly pointed.

Right, but unless you know you are in an externals subdirectory it is
too easy to, say, cd into the java 6 branch class lib concurrent module
standard directory and make a change that gets picked up by the java 5
branch.  We know about that case, but if there are a lot of externals
pointing around the place you can miss these hidden dependencies.

> BTW similar issue may happen in a "mixed" workspace with
> subdirectories switched to different branches.

Yes, and for the same reason I would also be unhappy if we switched at
levels below the working_* directories.  It just gets too hard to manage
multiple branches of the code.

Regards,
Tim