harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Breaking the build again (was Re: [announce] new DRLVM build system came into force)
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:43:57 GMT
Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> Sorry, here is somewhat belated recollection: it makes sense to modify
> the federated structure a bit further and make common_resources
> plugged as svn:externals rather than svn-switch it. This way we'd have
> the same versioning abilities plus can benefit reusing same
> properties.xml, svn info utilities, etc in the federated build.xml via
> direct import.
> If you did not yet finish with this, it is a good time to include the
> above change as well.

I have a natural aversion to svn:externals since it messes up the SVN
version control.  When you copy a resource with an externals property to
a new branch, the branch has a copy of the property (not what it points
to).  This makes it too easy to modify the HEAD when you think you are
working on a branch, and makes the branch mutable from the HEAD.

View raw message