harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java ME
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:02:57 GMT
Hi Bartek,

A few people have dropped in to suggest doing mobile libraries, and/or
an embedded VM.  Such an endeavor would certainly be within the scope of
the Harmony project charter.

I'm unfamiliar with MicroEmulator, so without a bit more investigation I
can't really say whether it would be more appropriate to consider
working straight in the Harmony project, or starting out as an incubator
project with a view to joining Harmony upon graduation.

A deciding factor would be the overlap in the communities that work in
the existing and new code base.  If the microemu code is large, with a
significant number of people who are new to Apache, etc. then going
through the incubator (perhaps with a Harmony mentor) will be a good
experience for learning the Apache way of doing things, and migrating
the project.

Another factor would be the provenance of the code, and prior experience
of the contributors, since Harmony has a rigorous contribution policy
that we guard carefully.

But to answer your specific question, Harmony is the right place for
work on virtual machines and platform class libraries at Apache.

Regards,
Tim