harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]remove the duplicate locale data
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 13:59:22 GMT

On 7 February 2008 at 15:48, "Alexey Petrenko" <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 2008/2/6, Tony Wu <wuyuehao@gmail.com>:
> > On 2/7/08, Alexey Petrenko <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I would suggest to mark these issues as "must be fixed before M5"
> > > since Harmony M5 should not be worse then M4.
> > Why do you think these differences are so important?
> Because these issues are regressions :)

Alexey, I don't think that is fair.  Regressions are changes that affect
things negatively and improvements are changes that affect things
positively.  Some of these may turn out to fall in the middle but many
of them will turn out to be improvements - i.e. because they are up to
date and the RI is outdated.

To me, Tony's question about why these are important is crucial.

If the issues were found with test cases, then why aren't these tests
checked in?  (If they were Tony would have had a chance to discover them
before making his changes in trunk.)

If the issues were found by application errors, then these are fair more
critical and I'm sure Tony was asking so that he might focus on these.

Personally, if these issues are application failures then I am +1 that
they "must be fixed before M5" but if they are test case regressions
then it is not so clear cut.  I'd have to weigh up the positive and
negative effects of the ICU changes.

Regards,
 Mark.