harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] harmony launch failed on AMD Geode LX
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:18:34 GMT

On 1 February 2008 at 1:42, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@apache.org> wrote:
> On 1 февраля 2008 Mark Hindess wrote:
> > On 31 January 2008 at 22:00, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com>
> wrote:

> > > )

> > > t.

> > > I recompiled classlib with -march=c3 rather than -march=pentium3.  But
> > > even with -Xint HelloWorld still dies with illegal instruction.  gdb
> > > says:
> > >
> > > (gdb) bt
> > > #0  0xb76e49f3 in MemoryWriteBarrier ()
> > >    from drlvm/bin/default/libharmonyvm.so
> > > #1  0xb76e16f0 in String_Pool::lookup ()
> > >    from drlvm/bin/default/libharmonyvm.so
> > > #2  0xb76e17c4 in String_Pool::lookup ()
> > >    from drlvm/bin/default/libharmonyvm.so
> > > #3  0xb76d6a08 in Global_Env::Global_Env ()
> > >    from drlvm/bin/default/libharmonyvm.so
> > > #4  0xb77528a4 in JNI_CreateJavaVM ()
> > >    from drlvm/bin/default/libharmonyvm.so
> > > #5  0x08049a55 in invocation (portLibrary=0xbffff918, argc=5,
> > > argv=0xbffffd54 ,
> > >     handle=134654592, version=65540, ignoreUnrecognized=1 '\001',
> > >     mainClass=0xbffffe6a "HelloWorld", classArg=4,
> > >     propertiesFileName=0x806aa00
> > > "drlvm/bin/default/harmonyvm.properties", is StandaloneJar=0,
> > > vmdllsubdir=0xbffff842 "default") at ../shared/main.c:672 #6  0x08049160
> > > in gpProtectedMain (args=0xbffff8f8) at ../shared/main.c:393 #7
> > > 0x0804b4a1 in main (argc=5, argv=0xbffffd54, envp=0xbffffd6c) at
> > > ../shared/cmain.c:146
> > > (gdb) x/1i $eip
> > > 0xb76e49f3 <_Z18MemoryWriteBarrierv+3>: sfence
> > >
> > > Suggestions welcome.
> >
> > Answering my own question... I'm going to try:
> >
> >   lock; addl $0,0(%%esp)
> >
> > in place of sfence in vm/vmcore/src/thread/linux/atomics.cpp.
>
> Yes I think this should help on processors with no SSE (not to mention
> SSE2) support.

It does.  HelloWorld runs okay with -Xint.  (Now I just need to find a
way to run the tests on a machine which boots to a small ramdisk from
compact flash and doesn't currently support network file systems.)

Without -Xint, predictably, it fails with not-immediately-helpful core
which reports:

(gdb) bt
#0  0xa649d24d in ?? ()
(gdb) x/1i $eip
0xa649d24d:     (bad)

It might be worth adding an option to the federation build compile for
a more limited processor so that people can do some testing w/-Xint - on
OLPC, Geode and VIA based machines?

> In fact VM's atomics stuff needs some unification. There are about three
> write barrier and atomic compare implementations that I know of, and
> probably several that I don't know of...

Definitely.

-Mark.