harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sian January" <sianjanu...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [external] One more opportunity of QA for Harmony
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:42:15 GMT
With FindBugs the exclusion list took the form of a separate file (i.e.
there was no markup in the code).  So it's wasn't really realistic to ask
people to check it and change it every time a class is changed, but equally
if a big change is made then the exclusions wouldn't necessarily match
anyway.  I'm not sure if it's possible to do something similar with this
scanner, or whether it would need to be a manual list, but I don't think we
should put markup actually in the code, especially if we're using a number
of different static analysis tools.

BTW - The exclusion file for FindBugs is in the repository under
standard/tools/FindBugs.  It's fairly human-readable so it might save some
work finding false positives with the Coverity scanner if it happens to look
for some of the same things.

On 13/01/2008, Alexey Petrenko <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sian January wrote:
> > > I think it would be really good to scan the classlib code.  I spent
> some
> > > time last year fixing bugs found by FindBugs and although a lot of
> them were
> > > minor there were a handful of quite serious ones that were definitely
> worth
> > > the time spent.  There is a fair amount of manual post-evaluation
> work, but
> > > surely it can't hurt to get the report and then fix the issues as and
> when
> > > people have time.
> > The key is to do as you did though, and document those "false positives"
> > in a way that they are removed from subsequent analyses.
> Our code is changing rapidly in some areas. So these "false positive"
> marks can become irrelevant.
> So I think we need to remove such a marks from the code if its changed.
> SY, Alexey

Unless stated otherwise above: