harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject [build] normalized ant build for drlvm
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:33:09 GMT
Hi all,

Here it is, please try and comment: HARMONY-5359. A big step towards
build unification across harmony modules, it also features greater
flexibility, modularity and much faster rebuild (~7 times compared to
the current build). The last feature is achieved via dependency
pre-calculation in plain ant, to workaround cpptasks which does void
sources parsing every time.

Besides, now one can (re)build a sole component w/o handling unrelated
dependencies & components. Having a binary hdk snapshot, a gc or jit
developer may not care about downloading & rebuilding the rest of the
drlvm and save a lot of time/resources.

OK, the new build is not yet trained to fetch/manage external
dependencies, for now it expects that workspace is already updated. So
currently it complements the old system. I suggest the folowing
deployment plan:
- interested developers try and evaluate the build, meanwhile we can
discuss and design unified dependency management cross Harmony
components.
- if no major objections or issues found, the new build is added to
SVN so 2 builds coexist in drlvm for a while;
- when dependency management is implemented/checked in and the new
build is all-sufficient, the old system is purged.

--
Alexey