harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Petrenko" <alexey.a.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: latest stable packages JRE packages - jre-r603534 (M4)
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:24:54 GMT
2008/1/15, Konstantin Lupach <konstantin.lupach@gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> I gave a try these packages on Linux IA32 host with RHEL3 update 6 and
> noticed that both apache-harmony-jre-r603534-linux-x86-32-libstdc++v6-
> snapshot.tar.gz and
> apache-harmony-jre-r603534-linux-x86-32-snapshot.tar.gzrequire
> libstdc++.so.6. Was the 2-nd package built in a wrong compiler
> environment?
>
> The 2-nd question is about libstdc++ dependency. Why not to incapsulate this
> VM libraries dependecy? It can be either linked statically or if you want to
> reduce libraries size it is possible to put it to the build directory and
> provide a single IA32 package instead of 2 stdc++ dependent as it is done
> now.
Yes, we have this, I would say, ugly dependency. Which comes from ICU
as far as I remember.
I really believe that we should resolve this issue somehow. Do be
honest I'm tired of this type of failures with downloaded packages
myself.

Any ideas or patches to fix this issue?
I'll investigate the problem deeper....

> We are looking at the opportunity to use a single VM package (per CPU
> architecture and OS family) and redistribute it with our product that is
> distributed in the binary form and supports a large variety of Linux
> operating systems.
Ah, good news! :)

SY, Alexey