harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Cornwall" <andrew.pack...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][pack200] Pack200 status update
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:14:16 GMT
Hi everyone,

Both Sian and I have made good progress with Pack200. We're now creating
valid .class files from Pack200 archives, at least with simple test cases.
I've had a lot of success with HelloWorld :-)

In fact, behind the scenes a lot of code has been added. All the bytecode
forms have been implemented, so we should be able to handle any bytecode
that needs to be unpacked, along with its arguments. Class pool entries are
sorted. Sian is now decoding most of the attributes, and just recently added
code to write out exception tables.

There are a few things left to do. Inner classes are still a problem, and I
noticed today that all our unpacked .jar files have archive dates of January
1, 1980. I won't vouch for major / minor versions yet either.

I've also updated the status on the Pack200 wiki page:
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Pack200

In short, we've done a lot, and although there's a little ways left to go,
we can see daylight ahead.

Thanks!

    Andrew Cornwall