harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject [jdktools][JDWP] proposal to improve JDWP with shared memory and update to java6
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2008 08:06:30 GMT
Hi All,

    I've done some study on the Harmony JDWP. The current JDWP is of
high quality and well-tested (really good job! :)).
    However compared with RI's implementation, I find RI has a
shared-memory transport (startup like "java
-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_shmem"). As Harmony's target is compatible
with RI, we may implement a shared-memory transport as well as RI
does. Do some one already has such plan? Or I'd like to implement in
the near future.
    A further study in windows API shows we may not use shared memory
directly, windows pipe api (pipe is also a kind of "shared memory", is
it?) may be a good alternative. In all we need to implement
open/read/write/select/close operations with pipe/shared-memory and
implement agent-load/unload shared-memory agent and error-handling
like socket-transport do.

    And I also notice that there' s some updates on JDWP-protocol in
java6, e.g, some new commands on
VirtualMachine/ReferenceType/ObjectReference/ThreadReference/CapabilitiesNew
Command Set, which is necessary for Java6 implemetation. We may also
implement them in a tools Java6 branch (currently only classlib has
Java6 branch, we may also build a repository for others? ) I'm not
sure DRLVM has a plan to update vmi/jvmti to java6 level, however I
think update JDWP first will do no harm.

     Any suggestion/comments? I may start further study/plan and
implementation for this if no objection.

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM