harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Zhang" <zhanghuang...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [performance] quick sort is 4x slower on Harmony
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2008 03:03:57 GMT
On Jan 3, 2008 8:20 PM, Endre StĂžlsvik <Endre@stolsvik.com> wrote:

> Andrew Zhang wrote:
> > On Dec 24, 2007 7:44 AM, Nathan Beyer <nbeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Can post the code that you're seeing this in? At least a
> >> representative example of the code would be needed to do any analysis.
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > You can find code here:
> >
> http://zhanghuangzhu.blogspot.com/2007/12/quicksort-runs-slower-on-harmony.html
>
> Just out of curiosity: what's the benefit of posting it on a blog, and
> not simply including it in the mail, as you did two posts later?
>
> On the negative side: Your blog doesn't give any markup benefits,
> coloring - indenting is indeed fully lost (as was the <'s and >'s). Your
> blog entry is totally out of context. It will be indexed by all search
> engines in the universe, and any search on "harmony slower" will give
> this particular blog entry as hit, and since it doesn't have any context
> as mailing list archives do, it will be counted as "harmony is worse" by
> anyone doing the search, and not as "harmony focuses on performance", as
> the mailing list hit will be.
>
> Seriously, I'm just curious to the reasoning behind the blog post.

The main reason is that I didn't want to mention all copyright and license
issues here. It's GPL licensed code, and db4objects owns the copyright. I
don't think everyone here is allowed to read GPL code at will.

The code on the blog entry is indeed slower on Harmony. Harmony is young,
and moving fast. Do we need to hide problem if there's a problem? I think
the archive of this mailing list can be also searched by many search
engines. Shall we also forbid to use any 'bad' words here?

But if you think the blog entry is not objective, it's another story. The
code in the blog is indeed slower and it's deterministic.

--
Best regards,
Andrew Zhang

db4o - database for Android: www.db4o.com