harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][testing] Size of test input files
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:40:50 GMT
Sian January wrote:
> It's not really about using something of a certain size, it's more about
> making sure we're testing with as wide a range as possible of different
> bytecode combinations, class file attributes and things like inner classes
> and java 5 features etc.

Where do you envisage finding these packed archives to put into the test
suite?

> Also if I generate source material I'm only
> testing things I've thought of (which is more likely to work anyway since I
> wrote the code).  Using large real-life programs tests things that I haven't
> thought of and should also mean that the test coverage will be much higher.

I can imagine you doing this locally to test the code, then generating
your own examples to put in the test suite to get good coverage.

While you will be writing these and testing the code you wrote, that's
not much different to you choosing the set of external archives to
include then ensuring your code passes with them -- i.e. you will ensure
your code works with the set you choose, which won't be exhaustive either.

Regards,
Tim