harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Tony Wu" <wuyue...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][text]Different impl of DateFormat/SimpleDateFormat between RI and ICU
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2008 06:00:48 GMT
Hi, all

I collect the differences I met here, let's discuss them case by case.

1. For pattern "ZZZZ", ICU returns GMT-07:00 but RI returns -7000. For
pattern "z, zzzz", ICU returns "GMT+14:00, Line Islands Time" but RI
returns "LINT, Line Is. Time" in "Pacific/Kiritimati".

And lots of things like that, also result in some failures in MessageFormat.
I suggest to correct our testcases and record them as non-bug
differences now and fix them one by one in the future if any product
were blocked.

2. ICU supports extra pattern chars, like ;Y', 'u', 'e', etc.  refert
to http://www.icu-project.org/apiref/icu4j/com/ibm/icu/text/SimpleDateFormat.html.

I think it's a value-add for us, let's report it as a non-bug difference.

3. ICU has different explanation on the pattern 'y'. It may result out
in different output, such as 2008 on ICU but 08 on RI. I suggest to
keep it as is unless we have to fix.

Any other difference you found, please let me know :)

--
Tony Wu
China Software Development Lab, IBM