harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Tony Wu" <wuyue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]remove the duplicate locale data
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:52:31 GMT
Hi Aleksey,

Thanks for you help.

I've proved there is no performance degradation on my machine
mentioned in my previous mail. I suppose the different result on your
machine is caused by different options to SpecJBB. Anyway, my POV is
that we should be willing to pay for the adoption of ICU if we have
to. All of us should be positive on this point. I'd like to clarify
the factors I'm facing below.

Firstly, the original implementation of harmony is faster but
incorrect. It is not reasonable to keep the code as is and refuse to
correct it just because the bad version has better performance. IMHO
performance is nothing if there is no correctness.

Secondly, we adopt ICU through delegation which involves extra method
calls than we implement it by ourselves, it does harm to performance
and can not be worked around. But please do not forget we benefit from
ICU in bug fixing, maintenance, smaller code size and so on.

Lastly, branching does not make sense to me. My fix is very separate
in luni and text, I can not guarantee that there is no modification
during my work, so the synchronization between HEAD and my branch is
required. Actually only I myself am working on the development work
(Surely, Aleksey is very helpful on testing), this synchronization
might be a nightmare to me. Furthermore, the code on branch will not
be automatically tested by continuous integration system and BTI, I do
not want to work without collaboration, that's not an open source
style, right? Will you ask a contributor to create a branch and play
with himself whenever he wants to contribute?

--
Tony Wu
China Software Development Lab, IBM