harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [doc] new header dependency in awt on Linux - x11proto-xext-dev
Date Sat, 19 Jan 2008 00:42:31 GMT
On 18 января 2008 Egor Pasko wrote:

> > > Igor Stolyarov said in FC it is the same, Debian has the same. Why
> > > bother? gentoo? :)
> >
> > Well, as I've written, it doesn't exist on SuSE too.
>
> I suggest to put at most 2 columns: for rpm-based and for apt-based
> distros. Installing all packages is quick and easy, while
> checking/installing by header is not.

Well. I think that there should be a note about Debian based distros (since
apt as well as rpm are just package managers and may be used across different
distributions). That should include Ubuntu, Kubuntu and other flavors of
Debian (unless they decide to split packages on their own accord). BTW are
you sure that this x11proto-xext-dev is not Ubuntu specific and is actually
required on Debian too?

Saying this, the instructions of every possible Linux distro in the world are
going to be hard to write. Versions change, packages are split, merged back
and renamed with different names, there is never going to be a perfect
instruction, especially considering the lag of the site and documentation
after the real state of things.

I think the instruction should name the groups of packages by origin like

X11 with all of its extensions and development packages
libpng with all of its development packages
libjpeg with all of its development packages
liblcms with all of its development packages
libxml2 with all of its development packages

and so on.

You and me would understand what it means. New developers would ask questions
on dev list in any case, and this is not bad IMHO.

--
Gregory