harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: latest stable packages JRE packages - jre-r603534 (M4)
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:25:45 GMT

On 16 January 2008 at 9:24, "Alexey Petrenko" <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 2008/1/15, Konstantin Lupach <konstantin.lupach@gmail.com>:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I gave a try these packages on Linux IA32 host
> > with RHEL3 update 6 and noticed that both
> > apache-harmony-jre-r603534-linux-x86-32-libstdc++v6- snapshot.tar.gz
> > and apache-harmony-jre-r603534-linux-x86-32-snapshot.tar.gzrequire
> > libstdc++.so.6. Was the 2-nd package built in a wrong compiler
> > environment?
> >
> > The 2-nd question is about libstdc++ dependency. Why not to
> > incapsulate this VM libraries dependecy? It can be either linked
> > statically or if you want to reduce libraries size it is possible
> > to put it to the build directory and provide a single IA32 package
> > instead of 2 stdc++ dependent as it is done now.
> Yes, we have this, I would say, ugly dependency. Which comes from ICU
> as far as I remember.

Not really.  The dependency on libstdc++ comes from any library that
includes C++ code so most of the awt and imageio libraries, and a number
of libraries in the VM.  The libstdc++5 specific dependencies from the
default x86 icu is trivially avoided using the ant option.

> I really believe that we should resolve this issue somehow. Do be
> honest I'm tired of this type of failures with downloaded packages
> myself.

It doesn't seem to be something that has come up often on the -dev
list.  How much of a problem is this?

> Any ideas or patches to fix this issue?
> I'll investigate the problem deeper....

I'm not sure we can "fix" this issue - by distributing libstdc++
ourselves - because of licensing issues.

Regards,
 Mark.