harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: latest stable packages JRE packages - jre-r603534 (M4)
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:07:22 GMT

On 16 January 2008 at 11:37, "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Konstantin,
>
> On 1/15/08, Konstantin Lupach <konstantin.lupach@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I gave a try these packages on Linux IA32 host with RHEL3 update 6 and
> > noticed that both apache-harmony-jre-r603534-linux-x86-32-libstdc++v6-
> > snapshot.tar.gz and
> > apache-harmony-jre-r603534-linux-x86-32-snapshot.tar.gz require
> > libstdc++.so.6. Was the 2-nd package built in a wrong compiler
> > environment?
> >

> Yes, you are right - both packages depend on libstdc++.so.6.
> Sorry, I missed that - OSes on the build hosts were upgraded and now
> libstdc++.so.6 is linked but still ICU libraries by default go with
> libstdc++.so.5 dependency.
>
> I think this is the right time to start publishing binaries with
> libstdc++.so.6 dependency only.

I'm not sure.  RHEL3 still uses libstdc++5 and is not yet end-of-life
until Oct 2010 IIRC.  Distributions like this are still going to be in
common use in many environments.  I'd certainly hope that we would
support them with our 1.0 release so we should probably support them
with our snapshot builds.

> Mark, you have committed ICU built libraries in
> depends/libs/linux.x86.libstdc++6. How we can get the same for x86_64
> platform?

AFAIK, all the other icu libraries are built with libstdc++6 already.

> > The 2-nd question is about libstdc++ dependency. Why not to
> > incapsulate this VM libraries dependecy? It can be either linked
> > statically or if you want to reduce libraries size it is possible
> > to put it to the build directory and provide a single IA32 package
> > instead of 2 stdc++ dependent as it is done now.
>
> Yep, this issue was discussed some time ago. Any VM guru want to
> comment this ?

I'm sure there would be licensing issues distributing libstdc++ if it
was linked statically or even if we just included the binary.

-Mark.