harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]remove the duplicate locale data
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:37:14 GMT

On 14 January 2008 at 16:21, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> > Yep, Tim, you're right. I believe that new implementation fixes a
> > number of bugs and will try to get it not degrading. I just want to
> > maintain the performance level of current trunk on the same level,
> > gradually fixing functional bugs. I don't like to sacrifice
> > performance of HEAD revision for non-critical bugfix. That is, I want
> > to see HEAD changes like this:
> >
> > "high performance, minor bug -> high performance, no bugs"
> >
> > rather than
> >
> > "high performance, minor bug -> low performance, no bugs -> high
> > performance, no bugs"
> >
> > ...because anyone could get the HEAD Harmony revision for
> > performance measurements at any time.

Couldn't someone also get the HEAD Harmony revision and suffer from the
known/fixable-with-Tony's-patch bugs at any time?

> > What do you think?

> For sure, improving performance and fixing the bugs is the most
> desirable state.  I actually don't mind some minor performance
> regression on HEAD between releases provided it is an area being
> actively worked upon.

+1 especially if it fixes bugs

> I'd also like to get to 4.2Mb source code reduction too ;-)

Me too.

> If you and Tony are happy to work on the patch to get it perfect then
> go ahead.  I hope it is not too troublesome to keep it in synch.  You
> could also consider a branch in SVN.

This bothers me too.  Firstly, while it is being developed in patch
on JIRA, it is likely only Tony and Aleksey will really look at it.
Secondly, that progress will be slow because of the cost of keeping in
sync - this applies to an SVN branch too.

I can't help thinking we'll make more progress if we apply the patch to
HEAD now.  We'll get wider visibility of problems with the new code -
and there are likely issues beyond the performance problems that have
been the focus so far - and more people will see the benefit of Tony
(and Aleksey's) hard work in getting us to this point.

I certainly don't want all this work to be completed outside svn HEAD
and committed a week or two before the freeze for next milestone.

Regards,
 Mark.