harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [doc] new header dependency in awt on Linux - x11proto-xext-dev
Date Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:09:29 GMT
On the 0x3D0 day of Apache Harmony Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> On 18 января 2008 Egor Pasko wrote:

> > > Well, as I've written, it doesn't exist on SuSE too.
> >
> > I suggest to put at most 2 columns: for rpm-based and for apt-based
> > distros. Installing all packages is quick and easy, while
> > checking/installing by header is not.
>
> Well. I think that there should be a note about Debian based distros (since
> apt as well as rpm are just package managers and may be used across different
> distributions). That should include Ubuntu, Kubuntu and other flavors of
> Debian (unless they decide to split packages on their own accord). BTW are
> you sure that this x11proto-xext-dev is not Ubuntu specific and is actually
> required on Debian too?

Judging by [1] it is required in Debian. OK, mentioning Debian-based
instead of apt-based is a good point.

> Saying this, the instructions of every possible Linux distro in the world are
> going to be hard to write. Versions change, packages are split, merged back
> and renamed with different names, there is never going to be a perfect
> instruction, especially considering the lag of the site and documentation
> after the real state of things.
>
> I think the instruction should name the groups of packages by origin like
>
> X11 with all of its extensions and development packages
> libpng with all of its development packages
> libjpeg with all of its development packages
> liblcms with all of its development packages
> libxml2 with all of its development packages

..and do not forget to mention, dynamic or static libs, and if static
then fPIC on x86_64, (also IPF, PPC), what else? :)

> and so on.

I do not want an absolutely correct instruction like this. liblcms
could be split or merged with something else. No guarantee here as
well as in package names. And finally, such instruction is not very
usable.

Giving package names is useful for a wide audience. And those
instructions that are there now (gy Geir?) helped me to set up my new
system very quickly without searching/detecting how the packeges are
named.

So, if we want to be absolutely precise, let's put it like this:

1. here is the set of packages one needs to install for popular
   Debian-based distributions (Ubuntu, Knoppix, Linspire...)

2. here is the set for the RPM-based (Fedora, Mandriva, ALT, ...)

3. and here is the complete list of headers/libs requirements for the curious

does it suit well? I will support list (1) then.

> You and me would understand what it means. New developers would ask questions
> on dev list in any case, and this is not bad IMHO.

Asking questions is good, but many of newbies do not like to go this
list to ask starter questions. And I can understand them. So, let's
make the process of joining the fun as smooth and trivial as possible
(for most popular distros:) let's welcome developers instead of
showing how complex and difficult we can be.

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/x11proto-xext-dev/filelist

--
Egor Pasko