harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][opt][translator] What dose JavaLabelPrepass do?
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:42:00 GMT
On the 0x3CF day of Apache Harmony cannibal wang wrote:
> 2008/1/17, Simon Chow <simon.harmony@gmail.com>:
> >
> > Actually, we are targeting at x86 platform :)  IPF is not concerned until
> > now.
> > I am sorry that I did not make this clear before.
>

> Agree, we will graduate next year, so we have only one year at most to do
> so, unless our future work
> involves Harmony,:)
>
> Now we just plan to enhance OPT using Open64 only for loops and other
> > computation-intensive sections.
> > Does it have some opportunities for performance improving?
>

> Initially, we planned to compile a java program to WHIRL using Open64,
> then translate WHIRL to OPT HIR, because WHIRL has five levels, and it can
> deal with more detailed information.
> in the end, dynamical optimization in Harmony will be utilized.
> Is this idea feasible?

Five levels? wow! Unless you tell what the levels are, what levels you
are going to translate to Jitrino HIR and what apply then in Jitrino,
I cannot tell much. And this description turns into a small design
document :)

Overall seems interesting. But I am afraid a lot to do, so, once you
get a working version passing Harmony tests that would be a huge
success, even if the system is slower on the start.

Good luck.

> As you said, code motion and prefetch optimizations is more helpful in C
> > compilers,
> > and what is the advantaging we can take using JIT compiler? profiling?
> > and?
> > I have little experience here.
> >
> > And I have not tried DRLVM on IPF yet...
> >
> > Thanks

> > > additional

> > variables
> > > and