harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nadya Morozova" <nad.moroz...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Multi-lingual publishing channels - blog, harmony web site etc.
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:24:26 GMT
Hi folks,

My attention has been focused again on Harmony activities. Let's use this
spell of good weather to do something for the website. I've been working to
implement a Russian-language base of the website based on our previous
discussion in this thread.

I apologize if my frequent commits are bothering you or if the changes I
made crush something. I haven't had time for extensive testing yet. Please
report errors so I address them quickly.

What I've done so far:
- index.ru.html
- quickhelp_users.ru.html
- quickhelp_contributors.ru.html
 -- RU | EN controls at the top
- bundles.ru.html
- var files for each of these

Help wanted with
- index.ru.html - translating news items
- downloads.cgi - translation essential
- cmd_options.html - translation essential; this is a very technical page, a
Russian-speaking engineering wanted
- review of current pages
- tuning the functioning of user-preference settings:
  -- the address http://harmony.apache.org/ is now pointing to the
index.html file, which is in English. Can we edit .htaccess so that it
points to index.var instead? this way, the user will get the page in the
preferred language
  -- what about links in the nav pane - should they be pointing to .var
files when a translated version of a page is available?

The "clever" functionality includes .var files for the 4 created .ru
versions. If you go to harmony.apache.org/index.var, it'll show you the
English version, or Russian - if your browser preferences show Ru to be the
preferred language. The same works for all the other files. Links between
.ru versions are to other .ru pages, if there's a translation available.

The "dumb" part is switching between paragraphs: a right-aligned text with
links. I failed to think of something cleverer that does not involve editing
the site .vsl template. A neater solution is welcome. Do you think we need
flags to set off languages better?

I'm really new to this .var files and .htaccess capacities of the Apache
server. I am sure to have missed some important points, so please help me
finish this.

Once we establish the workflow for adding a new translated page or a page in
a new language (I hope Chinese and other languages are queueing up now), I
can write a README with the essential steps.

Your suggestions and corrections are much appreciated,
thanks,
nadya